133 views
Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer

Junior Reviewer

Update by user Aug 30, 2020

We picked up our vehicle from General RV in Ocala, Florida on July 31,2020 after they had done all they could do without a wiring schematic or wiring diagram. I was told they did contact Thor and did what they could with the electrical issues and checked the components as best they could including a full check on the batteries.

We left on 1 August 2020 for Utah. On 3 August 2020, two days into our trip we had just finished taking showers in the morning did dishes with the hot water heater working flawlessly. We shut down the Hot water heater at the on off switch and proceeded to disconnect from 110v source and water source. An hour later we stopped at an antique store and found indications the hot water heater had caught fire (electrical).

we called General RV who told us to shut all coach systems down at main switch and propane valve which was operating the refrigerator. We then called Thor and finally got through to the technician assigned to our case. We gave him the same scenario as the General RV technician. We continued to our destination to Utah where we had called ahead to the Camping World we bought the unit from in Kaysville, Utah.

The remainder of our trip was in Motel rooms at our expense. The last day on the road on HWY 6 in Utah we lost engine power as if someone had turned off the key and turned it back on. At that point we had no cruise control. we dropped off our Unit at the Kaysville, Utah location gave Scott all the details, E-Mailed all the work orders and details to Terry Bossman at Thor Industries as requested on 7 August 2020.

On 27 August Scott at Camping World in Kaysville, Utah left a message stating the fire in the water heater was supposedly started by spider webs, they fixed the refrigerator problem, ordered the burnt out fan motor in the bathroom and that both the chassis battery and coach battery were bone dry of electrolyte. We paid for the SAM's Club extended warranty and according to Camping World's website as a SAM"S Club member we were to have priority when it came to repairs ETC. THREE WEEKS TO GIVE US THIS INFORMATION??? After much research that night and the next morning along with calls to service technicians I trusted, I called Scott back at Camping World in Kayesville, Utah on 28 August 2020 and proceeded to inform him that I was not happy with accusations that all these electrical problems were from my neglect as suggested in his voicemail left the previous evening.

I proceeded to inform him he needed to thoroughly read all the work orders he received from us detailing all the electrical problems we have had for two years and that one of the two batteries totally dry was replaced new by FORD October 2019 and that the most recent check of both batteries was done 31 July 2020. I informed Scott at Camping World that his shop needed to make arrangements to send the unit back to Thor. He stammered and said they could not do that until I forced the issue with him at which time he said he would get with his warranty department and that I would have to follow up with contacting Terry Bossman at Thor Industries as he would also do from his end. After completing my call with Scott at Camping World I proceeded to call Terry Bossman at Thor industries.

I had to leaves messages and finally sent an EMail to his EMail address he gave my wife and I almost a month ago. I have not received an EMail nor a phone call from Terry since the incident with the water heater fire on 3 August 2020.

My experiences with both the Camping World in Kayesville, Utah and Thor Industries leaves me very untrusting and a sour taste in my mouth when after seven months in five different shops in the past twenty four months with issues on a supposed new vehicle I was in so many words the culprit for all the issues. If I do not hear any word from either Camping World or Thor Industries by the end of this week I will be left with no recourse except that which was suggested here.

Original review posted by user Jul 29, 2020

Dear Sir or Mam, As indicated in my last comments. Thor did not or have they contacted me since their post over a month ago. I have sent two emails as they instructed to their care team. The first on 26 June 2020 after their initial and only post. I have resent an Email as they instructed once again on 25 July 2020 four days ago. As of today, I have heard absolutely nothing from them. My motorhome is still in the shop and as of yesterday, the technicians still cannot determine the causes of the electrical problems. Again I believe having the wiring crossed from factory all this time has caused systemic electrical failures throughout the coach. I am in the process of obtaining legal counsel to see what my options are. What I have posted on your site is as detailed as the work orders I have over the past two years. Fifteen (15) separate invoices with over seventy (70) repair items. Over twenty of the items related to electrical problems and failures which until now were determined to be figments of my imagination since their diagnosis early on could not be determined or found.

Respectfully,

Gary D. Ross

MAJ, USAR

Retired

User's recommendation: DO NOT BUY A THOR PRODUCT WITHOUT PURCHASING ADDITIONAL WARRANTY INSURANCE.

Product or Service Mentioned: Thor Industries Rv Repair.

Preferred solution: compensation for not being able to enjoy our purchase. replacement motorhome, immediate free RV rental for the vacation we planned to go on this week 6 months ago.

Comments