Thor Industries - Damon/Thor deteriorating leatherette in less than 2 years
Update added by user Jul 02, 2012
Well, after many letters to RV magazines and reviewers, Thor contacted me and said they will not do anything.They are sticking to the terms of their warranty even though they were aware of the defective material.
I guess it just becomes buyer beware...who would purchase anything from Thor Industries after reading how they do not stand behind their products, especially when they know they have a defective product.They merely prefer to hide behind their warranty.
Original review posted by user Jun 01, 2012
I am writing to you because I am at my wits end wit Thor Industries, Damon. I have contacted them regarding a serious problem many of us are having with our leatherette coverings on the furniture used by them in our fairly new motor homes. The material simply flakes away from its backing. My 2009 Damon Challenger, 376 began flaking at just 21 months and it is so unsightly that we are embarrassed to have people visit us in what we thought was a new motor home with beautiful captain chairs and 2 beautiful couches.
I contacted Damon/Thor last January when I first became aware of the problem. They asked that I send pictures which I did so. I also learned that many Damon/Thor owners were experiencing the exact same problem after one year or more of service. It appears that many of the RV forums, particularly I RV 2 forum has many, many posts on this particular subject.
Damon/Thor contacted me and advised that they will send me new skins for the two captain chairs and two couches but installation would not be covered. They said that was the best they can do. Two weeks later I received two packages containing the new skins. After thorough examination, my worst fears became true. I contacted Damon/Thor and asked if these new skins were the same defective material. They confirmed it was.
I contacted Flexsteel, the manufacturer of the furniture and they advised me that they were aware of the problem but would do nothing because Damon/Thor supplied the specific material. They said it was inferior compared to the material Flexsteel normally supplies.
I cannot believe the situation I and many Damon/Thor owners are in because of a company that does not want to stand behind its products, but merely wants to hide behind its warranty. Can you imagine buying an automobile regardless of price and witness the seats flaking in front of your eyes after one year or more of service. If the manufacturer didn't correct this before the word got out, they would be out of business.
I am not one for over regulation. As a matter of fact, I believe a company is only as good as its reputation. However in the RV business, many companies get away with murder and it appears that Damon/Thor is one of them. It doesn't appear that their reputation is affected because there are so few avenues to get the word out in the RV business.
That is why I am writing you. I ask that you help me put some sunshine on this situation. Thor may very well be a good company, but the right people are not aware of how their underlings are handling this dilemma. Maybe if a leader in the RV industry sheds some light on this, everyone will come out a winner. Maybe our fairly new coaches will be restored to what they should be and maybe Damon/Thor will attain the reputation that makes them leaders in sales and service which I think is the most important asset in the RV business and where they would like to be.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "Look at the attached pic. How embarrassing and it has Keystone's name on the front of the cap for negative advertising. Keystone won't replace the cap because they..."
- "I will never buy another Thor motor coach. Its designed badly and assembled even worse. Your better off buying a old clunker and redoing everything. Because with a new Thor..."
- "We ordered a brand new 2014 Georgetown 378XL and took delivery from Cold Springs RV in Weare NH in late May 2013. We immediately noted undisclosed damage to the outside..."
- "When the quote representative/salesperson called, they proceeded to ask questions about my prospective purchase and still refused to give a comparative estimate of various plans! They claimed that I had..."
- "For over a month and a half at my home in Charlotte, NC , USIC has been sitting in the parking area for hours, sometimes never getting out of trucks,..."
- "Found speaker boombox from Zapals. Good sound quality, soothing color with LED light, this Bluetooth speaker has not one, but two loudspeaker units built inside its body, providing you with..."
- "Robert Hannan will not:Update youSend letters in a timely fashionSend you emails in a timely Fashionreturn telephone callsor Better yetBE POLITE or ETHICAL ! Be watchful of the letters he files..."
- "I bought over $5,000.00 worth of furniture for my condo in October 2014. My $2500 couch with chair attached is dipping in 2 places, springs gone. I called El Dorado..."
- "Very recently, after 14 yrs with #Verizon, I switched to #sprint, to take advantage of their iPhone forever plan, as well as save a few bucks. This is a quote,..."