Pompano Beach, Florida
1.8K views 4 comments

Update by user Jul 02, 2012

Well, after many letters to RV magazines and reviewers, Thor contacted me and said they will not do anything.They are sticking to the terms of their warranty even though they were aware of the defective material.

I guess it just becomes buyer beware...who would purchase anything from Thor Industries after reading how they do not stand behind their products, especially when they know they have a defective product.They merely prefer to hide behind their warranty.

Original review posted by user Jun 01, 2012

I am writing to you because I am at my wits end wit Thor Industries, Damon. I have contacted them regarding a serious problem many of us are having with our leatherette coverings on the furniture used by them in our fairly new motor homes. The material simply flakes away from its backing. My 2009 Damon Challenger, 376 began flaking at just 21 months and it is so unsightly that we are embarrassed to have people visit us in what we thought was a new motor home with beautiful captain chairs and 2 beautiful couches.

I contacted Damon/Thor last January when I first became aware of the problem. They asked that I send pictures which I did so. I also learned that many Damon/Thor owners were experiencing the exact same problem after one year or more of service. It appears that many of the RV forums, particularly I RV 2 forum has many, many posts on this particular subject.

Damon/Thor contacted me and advised that they will send me new skins for the two captain chairs and two couches but installation would not be covered. They said that was the best they can do. Two weeks later I received two packages containing the new skins. After thorough examination, my worst fears became true. I contacted Damon/Thor and asked if these new skins were the same defective material. They confirmed it was.

I contacted Flexsteel, the manufacturer of the furniture and they advised me that they were aware of the problem but would do nothing because Damon/Thor supplied the specific material. They said it was inferior compared to the material Flexsteel normally supplies.

I cannot believe the situation I and many Damon/Thor owners are in because of a company that does not want to stand behind its products, but merely wants to hide behind its warranty. Can you imagine buying an automobile regardless of price and witness the seats flaking in front of your eyes after one year or more of service. If the manufacturer didn't correct this before the word got out, they would be out of business.

I am not one for over regulation. As a matter of fact, I believe a company is only as good as its reputation. However in the RV business, many companies get away with murder and it appears that Damon/Thor is one of them. It doesn't appear that their reputation is affected because there are so few avenues to get the word out in the RV business.

That is why I am writing you. I ask that you help me put some sunshine on this situation. Thor may very well be a good company, but the right people are not aware of how their underlings are handling this dilemma. Maybe if a leader in the RV industry sheds some light on this, everyone will come out a winner. Maybe our fairly new coaches will be restored to what they should be and maybe Damon/Thor will attain the reputation that makes them leaders in sales and service which I think is the most important asset in the RV business and where they would like to be.

Sincerely,

Robert Fedderwitz

Review about: 2009 Thor Motor Coach Challenger Rv.

Had an Experience with Thor Industries?

Comments

My thor rv blew up the inside tire blew and going down I 95 it caught fire 3min later blew up get rid of it before you die! No joke!!!!

Our 2011 Serrano 33A had the same problem after 25 months, one month out of warranty.Same response from both Thor and Flexsteel.

Looked at getting the two captains chairs and couch recovered.

It was actually less expensive to order new chairs and couch directly from Flexsteel with a much higher quality fabric than recovering the old.

Never would I buy another Thor product or recommend them to any one else looking to purchase.

I bought the thor ace 2015 since we have had it we have had to have the following replaced propane regulator slide moter and wires windshield wiper and washer motor outside tv hydraulic pump radio. Have had all molding reattached front passenger seat was not attached awning comes out crooked shower redeveloped water lines replaced fresh water tank removed and cleaned out plastic bathroom faucet replaced top step broke window fell out generator does my work rooftop air condition repaired. Had front end align ed 2 times still pulls to the right extreme vibration when going 65mph all cabinet doors open going down the road .extreme rattling.if you are looking for a motorbike please do not buy a thor product they are junk will never buy one again you can never get them on the phone you leave messages and all they say is sorry they don't stand behind their products.we have had ours in the shop 7times in 10 months.they are junk please don't buy them

Thor sucks,i would sleep in a tent before buying thor!!!