263 views
Verified Reviewer

Junior Reviewer
1.3

We showed up at GENERAL RV in Ocala, Florida on 31 July 2020 where our motorhome had been since it was towed in on 25 June 2020 with electrical problems related to batteries going dead when hooked up to 110 source for an extended period of time. The technicians ran tests and initially thought it was the relay solenoid.

they said they even called THOR technicians to ask for a wiring diagram to trace the issues. According to the head service technician at General RV, the THOR technician told them they did not have a wiring diagram for our motorhome to help them to do more than the diagnostics they could with the limited knowledge they had. We picked up the motorhome since there was nothing further the technicians at General RV could accomplish without a wiring diagram. We then drove it home and packed for our trip that had been postponed a week already.

I hooked the RV up to our 110 volt supply at our home for the night to get the refrigerator cold. In the morning I disconnected the 110 volt, turned off the refrigerator, and turned on the propane to run the refrigerator. I purged the gas lines by lighting the stove. I then turned the refrigerator back on to AUTO mode and after less than a minute the gas ready light on the refrigerator started blinking.

I turned off the switch for several minutes and turned it back on in AUTO mode. The green and orange light were solid for less than a minute when the orange gas light indicator started blinking again. After attempting this procedure for about ten minutes I put the refrigerator switch in gas only mode and had no more issues with operation. Our first night 1 August 2020 was spent at a rest stop just outside Lafayette, Louisiana.

I turned on the generator for the air conditioning. The air conditioning did not seem to cool much differently in fan mode or AC mode. Tried turning unit on and off at thermostat and the last time I turned it off and set thermostat at 55 it started to cool. Very little came out of the vents over the bed area.

The hot water was turned on to take showers and do dishes. The vent fan in the bathroom was inoperable. I tried to switch it on and off several times no response. I then turned off the hot water for the evening as well as the air conditioning.

I did get up a couple times at night to start the generator and try to cool us down. Sunday morning 2 August 2020 we got up turned on the generator to make coffee and heat our breakfast in the microwave. The hot water was turned up to clean up and shave. All this time the refrigerator had been on using propane and functioning as long as the switch was left in the gas mode.

Sunday night we stayed at an RV park and hooked up to 30 amp 110 Volt. I turned the switch on the refrigerator to AUTO mode and also hooked up to an external water source. I switched the refrigerator to auto to run on 110V and left the propane on for the hot water heater. Monday morning 3 August 2020 I turned on the hot water so we could take showers, have breakfast, make coffee.

When we were ready to leave I disconnected from the 110V power source we used and turned off the hot water switch. I had to again turn the refrigerator switch back to gas mode. The refrigerator did the same as Saturday morning on AUTO mode once it shifted from 110V to gas available. The gas indicator kept flashing after less than a minute.

We then departed the RV site and stopped for fuel 30 miles down the road. I fueled up with the fuel spigot being just behind the access door to the hot water heater. Nothing was amiss. We then stopped at the next town to antique shop.

I came out of the antique store some minutes later and noticed the hot water access door was burnt. I unhooked the door and peered inside to find the insulation burnt off several wires. Interestingly I had a call from a THOR representative over all the issues we have been having. I tried calling him back and no answer.

I then phoned the service manager at the general RV dealership to as what to do. He immediately told me to turn off the propane, shot down the coach electrical switch and not operate anything in the coach until we could get the vehicle to the shop in Utah where we purchased it. We called Camping World where we purchased the RV new and moved up our drop off date to Thursday. Again I tried calling THOR.

I had to leave messages again. Tonight we are staying in a motel room at an exorbitant price due to having our dog with us and fearing to let him stay in the RV let alone us staying in there and not knowing what other electrical shorts there may be with all these issues.

Product or Service Mentioned: Thor Industries Rv.

Preferred solution: a problem free unit. reibursement of time and money, trying to resolve these issues they claim are non existent .

Comments