521 Industrial Dr, Wakarusa, IN 46573, USA
3.2
Insurance Quality

Purchased a Pre-owned 2017 THOR Challenger 37 TB with 5,045 miles from Buddy Greg's RV and Motorhomes in Knoxville TN on April 13 2018. It had damage to the Wet Bay Door that the dealer claimed the previous owner had hit something, it also had an issue with the overhead bunk, and a couple of other minor issues, including the latch on the Battery Compartment Door, would not open, that was all placed in the sales agreement to be repaired/replaced by the dealer, upon our return, a week later, as we were enroute to a scheduled event when we stopped and traded our 5th Wheel, and F350 King Ranch.

We departed enroute to our first stop which was just about an hour away and stayed 2 nights. One The 3rd day we departed, and about 2hrs out traveling along I-40W we hear a load noise from the left side of the coach. I look in the mirror and see what I thought was a Cargo Door open. I was near a exit, so I took it and turned into a Home Depot parking lot. Upon inspection I found that the Battery Compartment Door Skin had Seperated, and had folded back, with only about 4 inches of metal under the trailing edge of the door latch flange keeping the panel from completely detaching. Since the panel was obviously ruined, I bent the panel back into place, and secured it with self drilling sheet metal screws.

Upon arrival at our destination the Bedroom Slide would not extend, and the Front Shade would not go below half way. The Driver's side Window Leaked a steady Stream.

Upon return to Buddy Greg's techs worked on the Shade, reprograming

It. The Doors had not been ordered as we had been told they had, the slide desided to work properly. I found that the Water Tank Door had also begun to Separate, so the Buddy Gregg Body Shop removed the door, and rebonded the Panel at a cost of $1015 to me.

Returned 4 weeks later for replacement of the Original Damaged wet bay door, and the Battery Compartment Door that Debonded with us. ( We believe the same thing happened to the wet bay door, as the bends we're almost identical to the bends in the Battery Compartment Door). After 3 days the new doors were painted and reinstalled on our coach, Wireing for the bedroom slide was repaired, and we returned home without incident.

I was talking with a Thor Customer Service Rep, that assured me Thor Would "take care" of the doors and that they were aware there were problems with the doors. He asked me to send pictures and a detailed statement as to When, Where, What had taken place, I did and he acknowledged receipt.

After about 4 days I received a call from Thor from a woman who in no uncertain terms informed me that Thor would not be taking care of the doors, that I was the second owner and had no Warranty. I agreed with that, but argued that this Debonding of the Doors was an Obvious Manufacturer Defect that could be Potentially Deadly if a panel completely separated and hit a vehicle, causing an accident, or worse yet struck someone on a Motorcycle !

She said she was not going to argue with me that was Thor's discission, that I could take it up with their door Vendor, Mishawaka Sheet Metal.

I asked to speak to her supervisor, and she flattly refused saying she was a Customer Service Supervisor and was not going to escalate it futher, then hung up on me.

I did as advised, and contacted Mishawaka Sheet Metal by email and in a day received a email that stated, they were aware of a group of doors that were Manufactured using a BAD BATCH OF GLUE THAT was giving Problems After an Extended Period.

And that they dad Repaired some doors through Thor's Warranty Program.

I urge all Owners who have experienced this Debonding Of CARGO DOORS to do as I have done and Submitt a Report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as these doors need to be Recalled and Repaired before someone is Injured or Killed !

Comments